Table of Contents
Black beans are a type of legume that is high in protein and fiber. They are also low in fat and cholesterol, making them a healthy addition to any diet. Black beans are super versatile and make a great ingredient for salads, burritos, bowls, quesadillas, tacos, or with rice and veggies.
This black bean salad is super fresh and easy to make. It only takes about fifteen minutes to put together, and it’s perfect for a summer picnic or potluck. The recipe calls for low-sodium canned black beans, but you could easily use dried black beans if you have time to soak and cook them beforehand.
Black Beans, a true Rockstar!
The star ingredient of this salad is black beans! Some people hesitate to include these because they might experience some bloating after eating legumes in general.
Let me reassure you, most people experience SOME bloating after eating legumes. There is nothing wrong with your digestive tract for experiencing this. The reason for this is because legumes contain high levels of fiber, which can be difficult to digest for some people. However, there are a few things you can do to prevent or reduce bloating when cooking legumes.
Prevent Undesirable Bloating
1) Soak the legumes overnight before cooking. This will help to soften them and make them easier to digest.
2) Cook the legumes with PLENTY of water. This will help to flush out some of the sugars and carbohydrates associated with gas-production.
If you don’t usually consume legumes, we recommend you start slowly and increase consumption slowly. This is key when it comes to increasing fiber in your diet.
Black Beans Nutrition
Did you know that both the Mediterranean Diet and the DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension) recommend consuming legumes 3 times per week? This is because beans and legumes are considered a nutrient-dense food!
Some of the key nutrients in black beans include protein, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and vitamin B6. Black beans are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect against disease.
This is why I bring you THIS amazing Black Bean Salad recipe. Let’s dive in!
Black Bean Salad
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed low/ reduced sodium
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 avocado, diced in small squares
- 1/2 cup corn (can use corn from frozen or canned)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeño or spicy pepper (can substitute for red pepper if you don't like spicy foods)
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, celery, avocado, corn, cilantro and jalapeño.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Pour over black bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Enjoy!